Rural Rother PCN Logo

Who should I see?

See the right person first

Did you know, there are a range of services and trained health professionals working closely with your GP that might be better suited to help you?

Find out about the services available to you and how to access them by clicking on the links below.


Self care

If you have a cough, cold, headache or other minor ailment try treating yourself at home first. Find out more about treatments for common minor ailments. Please remember that self-care ... [continue] Self care

Health A-Z

Your complete guide to conditions, symptoms and treatments, including what to do and when to get help. Visit Health A-Z on 

Medicines A-Z

Find out how your medicine works, how and when to take it, possible side effects and answers to your common questions. Visit Medicines A-Z on


Pharmacists are highly trained health professionals and can give you confidential health advice for a range of common illnesses and complaints, including: aches and pains sore throat coughs colds flu ... [continue] Pharmacists

Medicine cabinet

You can treat many minor ailments such as colds, coughs and indigestion by keeping a well-stocked medicine cabinet at home. We suggest you keep the following: Paracetamol and aspirin (children ... [continue] Medicine cabinet

First aid

Having a basic knowledge of first aid can save lives and it can help you to understand when someone needs to go to the hospital or when they might just ... [continue] First aid

Musculo-skeletal pain

Suffering with musculo-skeletal pain can be common. You can usually do things to ease the pain yourself by following the guidance on and taking over the counter pain medication ... [continue] Musculo-skeletal pain

Physiotherapy Self Referral

If you are 16 or over and registered to a GP in Hastings and Rother, you could be eligible to self-refer to the MSK Physiotherapy service for a range of ... [continue] Physiotherapy Self Referral


We are unable to treat or give prescriptions for dental problems, even if they are urgent. This is because we do not have the appropriate training or expertise for dental ... [continue] Dentists

Minor Eye Conditions (MEC)

If you have a problem with your eyes, you can be treated by the local Minor Eye Conditions Service (MECS) at a local opticians. They have the specialist equipment required ... [continue] Minor Eye Conditions (MEC)

Social Prescribers

There are times when we all need support to address life’s challenges. Knowing how to access available support locally can make a big difference. Social Prescribing helps you to explore ... [continue] Social Prescribers

Mental health self referral

We all go through low points at times in our lives and it is not unusual to experience symptoms such as stress, anxiety and depression. Find a wealth of information ... [continue] Mental health self referral

Health & Social Care Connect

Health and Social Care Connect (HSCC) is the telephone contact centre for adult social care services in East Sussex (over 18 years). Some people need practical support to lead an ... [continue] Health & Social Care Connect

Out of hours

NHS 111 If you need help when we are closed, call NHS 111 or visit the NHS 111 website. They will put you in touch with the Out of Hours ... [continue] Out of hours

Pain management

Most people only need to take painkillers for a few days or weeks at most. For advice on short term pain medication, visit your pharmacist. They can sell you over ... [continue] Pain management


Each year 25% of the population visit their GP for a respiratory tract infection (eg sinus, throat or chest infection). These are usually caused by viruses. For patients who are ... [continue] Antibiotics

Check your own Blood Pressure

It is important to be aware of your blood pressure because the higher your blood pressure is, the higher your risk of potential health problems in the future. For those ... [continue] Check your own Blood Pressure

Be smoke free

Join the national campaign and make this year the one you quit smoking for good

Ear syringing and ear care

Guidance shows that using olive oil or a bulb syringe from your community pharmacist can unblock ears without the need for full ear syringing. We have taken available information to produce this ... [continue] Ear syringing and ear care

Healthy weight

It is important for us all to be a healthy weight. For advice on how to lose weight, cut down on what you eat and be more active visit ... [continue] Healthy weight

Parenting support

Being a parent is not always easy. You are not alone if you find it difficult sometimes. Contact these organisations for help and support: East Sussex County Council’s Children’s website ... [continue] Parenting support

Pregnancy, birth & parenthood

If you think you are pregnant, you can self-refer to the Community Midwives Team at They will guide you through your pregnancy and birth. It is also useful to ... [continue] Pregnancy, birth & parenthood

Sleep and tiredness

We all feel tired from time to time. But tiredness or exhaustion that goes on for a long time is not normal. It can affect your ability to get on ... [continue] Sleep and tiredness

Sexual health

For advice on sex, sexual health and genital health, visit If you’re worried you have got an Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) go for a check-up at a sexual health ... [continue] Sexual health

Falls prevention team self referral

Falls and fall-related injuries are a common and serious problem for older people. People aged 65 and over have the highest risk of falling, with 30% of people over 65 ... [continue] Falls prevention team self referral

Healthy body & mind

For top tips on having a healthy body and mind, visit