If you have a problem with your eyes, you can be treated by the local Minor Eye Conditions Service (MECS) at a local opticians. They have the specialist equipment required to examine your eye closely. They will see urgent problems within 24 hours and routine within 5 days.
An appointment is required and you must state ‘Minor Eye Conditions’ or ‘MECS’ when booking to ensure you are treated for free under the NHS.
The following conditions are suitable for MECS to deal with:
- Sudden onset of blurred or double vision.
- Eye pain or discomfort.
- Red eye or eyelids.
- Lumps and bumps in the vicinity of the eye.
- Ingrowing eyelashes.
- Watery eyes.
- Dry/gritty/uncomfortable/itchy eyes.
The following conditions are not suitable for MECS to deal with:
- Injuries to the eye eg. chemical, penetrating injuries or post-op infections. Please go to your local A&E with an eye injury.
- Severe eye pain.
- Long-term conditions such as Diabetic Retinopathy or if you are already under the Eye Clinic at the Hospital.
- Long-standing adult squint.
- Long-standing double vision.
- Sudden persistent loss of vision – complete or partial.
- Patients under 3 years old – please note patients under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
Opticians offering MECS
- Specsavers Opticians, Priory Meadow Shopping Centre, Hastings, TN34 1PH 01424 717900
- Wilson, Wilson and Hancock Optician, 12/14 Cambridge Road, Hastings, TN34 1DJ 01424 421717
- Claire Reed Opticians, Dixter Road, Northiam, TN31 6LB 01797 252411
- Specsavers Opticians, 6 Western Road, Bexhill, TN40 1DX 01424 739110
- Looking Good Opticians, The Old Bakery, High Street, Wadhurst, TN5 6AA 01892 782674
- Focus Medical Eye Centre, 18 High Street, Hailsham, East Sussex, BN27 1BJ 01323 442062
- Pople & Broad Opticians, 50 High Street, Heathfield, East Sussex, TN21 8JB 01435 863232
- Specsavers Opticians, 43 Terminus Road, Eastbourne, BN21 3QL 01323 649767
- Arthur Hayes Opticians, Campbell House, Croft Rd, Crowborough, East Sussex, TN6 1DR 01892 664826
- Wilson, Wilson and Hancock, 63 Cinque Ports Street, Rye, TN31 7AN 01797 223700