Rural Rother PCN Logo

Children’s support

There is now a new NHS website dedicated to children and young people’s health in East Sussex – 

Here you will find everything in one place, including:

  • special pages for teenagers
  • specialist therapies
  • how the NHS can support you
  • Schools Nursing Team
  • Healthy Schools programme
  • Top tips for parents
  • Supporting children to lead a healthy life
  • Links to other organisations that can help your family

Family Mental Health Support

Holding Space support parents, carers, children and young people who are struggling with their mental health. They provide Parent Coffee mornings, Walk & Talk and telephone support. Find out more on their website Holding Space.

Child development

The Child development service run by East Sussex Healthcare Trust supports children with the following childhood conditions:

  • Developmental delay
  • Physical disability
  • Severe co-ordination difficulties
  • Communication, speech and language difficulties
  • Autistic spectrum disorders
  • Learning disabilities
  • Vision and hearing problems
  • Behaviour problems associated with developmental delay
  • Statutory health assessment
  • Sleep difficulties as part of a disability

For more information and useful links to other resources, visit their website Child Development Service.

Other support for children

Become offer support for children in care & young care leavers.

Childline offer support for children with bullying, your body, feelings, relationships, home, school and lots more.

Contact provide support for families with disabled children.

Child abuse

If you’re worried that a child or young person is at risk or is being abused:

  • Call 999 if the child is at immediate risk
  • If it’s not an emergency, call Sussex Police on 101 or contact East Sussex County Council’s Children’s & Families Team or call their Single Point of Assess (SPoA) Team on 01323 464222. You’ll be asked for your details, but you can choose not to share them.

You don’t need to be sure that a child or young person has been abused – it’s OK to report a suspicion. Child abuse includes physical, sexual and emotional abuse, and neglect. You can read more about the signs of child abuse.

Contact these groups if you want to discuss your concerns and get advice:

NSPCC (for adults) Telephone: 0808 800 5000

ChildLine (for children and young people) Telephone: 0800 1111 (free)

The ChildLine number won’t show up on your phone bill if you call from a landline or from most mobile networks.