Rural Rother PCN Logo

Complaints Process

Talk to us

Every patient has the right to make a complaint about the treatment or care they have received at Oldwood Surgery and Battle Health Centre.

We understand that we may not always get everything right and, by telling us about the problem you have encountered, we will be able to improve our services and patient experience.

Who to talk to

Most complaints can be resolved at a local level. Please speak to a member of staff if you have a complaint or ask to speak to the Practice Manager.

How to complain

A complaint can be made verbally or in writing. Additionally, you can complain via email to [email protected] If you are emailing us for the first time, our Reception Team will contact you by telephone to verify your email address in line with our Data Protection Policy.

Time frames for complaints

The time constraint on bringing a complaint is 12 months from the occurrence giving rise to the complaint, or 12 months from the time you become aware of the matter about which you wish to complain.

The Practice Manager (or nominated representative in their absence) will acknowledge all complaints within three business days.

We will then investigate and provide you with the findings. This will be within 40 days in line with NHS England’s Complaint Policy (2017) response target. We will provide regular updates regarding the investigation of your complaint.

Investigating complaints

We will investigate all complaints effectively and in conjunction with current legislation and guidance.


We will ensure that all complaints are investigated with the utmost confidentiality and that any documents are held separately from the patient’s healthcare record.

Third party complaints

We allow a third party to make a complaint on behalf of a patient. The patient must provide consent for them to do so. A third party patient complaint form is available from reception.

Final response

We will issue a final formal response to all complainants which will provide full details and the outcome of the complaint. Further information is detailed in our practice policy.

Complaining to other Authorities

We hope that if you have a problem with the service you have received, you will speak to us and give us the opportunity to put it right. If you feel you cannot, or if you are not happy with our response, you can contact the following bodies:

NHS England

You can send your complaint by post to: NHS England Customer Contact Centre, PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT, or by email to the Complaints Manager at [email protected] or by calling on 0300 311 22 33 – Mon to Fri 8am to 6pm.

Care Quality Commission (CQC)

If you have a genuine concern about a staff member or regulated activity carried on by this Practice then you can contact the Care Quality Commission on 03000 616161, or alternatively  visit the CQC website at


Advocacy Service for NHS Complaints

This is a national service that supports people who want to make a complaint about their NHS Care or treatment. Your local service can be accessed  via their website at or by calling 0300 456 2370.


If you have not received a satisfactory response from the GP practice or NHS England, you can then refer your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman who investigates complaints about the NHS in England. You can call the Ombudsman’s Complaints Helpline on 0345 015 4033 or contact them via their website at or  by Textphone (Minicom) on 0300 061 4298.