Rural Rother PCN Logo

Pain management

Most people only need to take painkillers for a few days or weeks at most.

For advice on short term pain medication, visit your pharmacist. They can sell you over the counter pain killers including some NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), paracetamol and some weak opioids (codeine or dihydrocodeine).

If you buy painkillers that contain weak opioids and you need to take them for more than three days you must discuss this with your pharmacist or doctor.

If you have ongoing pain, book to see our Paramedic Practitioner or a GP.

For advice and links to support groups at

For advice on Chronic Pain Management, visit